Submit a Speaker and/or Idea
We are not presently accepting pitches for a potential 2020 TEDxProvincetown event.
For anyone considering a pitch for a potential 2020 show, we will eventually have an open call for submissions. Stay tuned.
Before you apply, take note of our curatorial priorities.
- You’ll be asked to submit a video of your pitch — just something on your phone.
- You’ll need to defend your idea with a “Why should we care?” rationale. How is it TED talk vs. an academic talk, or MOTH talk, or slam?
- You’ll need to provide a full outline of how you think the talk will go — not a script, just a through line to show us you know what your talk looks like/sounds like.
- Locality: This event features people who have strong connections to Provincetown and/or Cape Cod. What’s your connection? If you don’t have this connection, please don’t apply.
- Quality of Idea: What makes us say, “wow!” Focus on tech, science, innovation, social trends, art and other ideas that are perhaps local, but also global. Stories of personal triumph or self-help are unlikely to get picked.
- Authority to present the idea: What gives you unassailable credibility to speak to this idea? It doesn’t need to be a PhD, but it needs to be solid.
- Freshness in the TED Universe. What makes this idea unique among the thousands of other talks in the TED channels? What videos will compete with yours? Send us three links. How is your talk better?
- Time Commitments: People ALWAYS underestimate how much time this takes — even when they are prepared to work hard, We have a rigorous curatorial process with hard deliverables, a lot of editing and a speaker agreement that sets out expectations. Not every speaker we’ve prepped makes it to the stage. Think 200 hours then add a few more. Also, this is an unpaid assignment. It also includes required legal waivers. Be sure you know what you’re signing up for. The producers retain the right to cut speakers who are not ready for the show date.
Due to submission volumes and the quality of applicants/nominees, we may only be able to respond to proposals or leads that we want to develop. If you’re a minor, cool. We’ll just need parental or guardian consent.
Thank you for your valuable time and consideration invested in your application.