Submit a Speaker and/or Idea for the 2020 Cycle
Open call for TEDxProvincetown 2020 speakers
is live now through March 2
What does it inspire in you as a TEDxProvincetown speaker?
You know… Helltown….
That old, perhaps oldest nickname for Provincetown, when it was “beyond the church” in the puritanical ways of the earliest colonizers.
What lessons are revealed by Provincetown’s hellin’ ways? What does it mean in 2020 for science, art, culture, gender or tech? What’s “Capital U Unconventional“? What’s culturally challenging to the mainstream? What’s a talk that is from here, but speaks to the world?
The third annual TEDxProvincetown is looking for aspiring TED speakers for its Oct. 10, 2020 show at Fishermen Hall in Provincetown, MA. Submissions are due by March 2. The 2020 program will comprise 7-8 speakers. Discounted early bird tickets will be available in February.
Before you apply, take note of our curatorial priorities and pitch requirements. Yes, it looks like a lot. It is a lot.
For your pitch:
- Tape a short 1-3 minute video of your pitch — just something done on your phone will work
- Support, and give a solid reasoning for, the answer to “Why should we care?”
- Explain how/why your pitch is a TED talk vs. an academic talk, or MOTH talk, or slam
- Provide an outline of how you think the talk will go — not a script, just a beginning-middle-and-end through line to show us you know what your talk looks like/sounds like.
- Locality: We look for people who are connected to Provincetown or Cape Cod. We’re flexible… but how are you connected? Or, how is the topic connected?
- Quality of Idea: Give us a reason to say, “wow!” Focus on tech, science, innovation, social trends, art and other ideas that are perhaps local, but also global
- Authority to present the idea: What gives you unassailable credibility to speak to this idea? It doesn’t need to be a PhD, but it needs to be solid
- Freshness in the TED Universe. What makes this idea unique among the thousands of other talks in the TED channels? What videos will compete with yours? Send us three links. How is your talk better, different, next level?
- Time Commitments: Developing and presenting a TED Talk is an absorbing and time-intensive project, with hard deadlines. Know what you’re signing up to do
- Be creative: What is the special, unique take and presentation that will make this talk stand out in the TEDxProvincetown program?
Our top five most watched videos are:
- Noah Wilson-Rich: Bees!
- Marti Gould Cummings: Drag!
- Agnes Mittermayr: Conservation!
- Frank Strona: Bears!
- Ryan Landry: The Cage of Normalcy!
Ready to pitch?
Email your submission to email@example.com
Due to submission volumes and the quality of applicants/nominees, we may only be able to respond to proposals or leads that we want to develop. If you’re a minor, cool. We’ll just need parental or guardian consent.
Thank you for your valuable time and consideration invested in your application.